While I already have some pretty serious goals for the year, I also have some style resolutions I’m attempting to pull off, one of which is to wear more lipstick! I have a hundred dollars worth of the prettiest shades languishing in my makeup drawer that I rarely wear during the day (too many opportunities for eating, drinking coffee, no mirrors…I have a lot of excuses). But I’m putting an end to fancy lipstick I just look at from afar by enlisting my pal Avery Allen, makeup artist extraordinaire, to give me (us) some tips on how to keep your lipstick on your mouth all day long.
Here are her tips:
If you are trying to rock a bold lip all day long without your color fading, add a lip brush and lip pencil to your makeup bag. The lip pencil should be the same color as your lipstick. Follow these sure-fire steps to make sure your lipstick stays put:
• After making sure your lips are exfoliated, apply a thin layer of chap-stick.
• Begin to trace your lips with a freshly sharpened lip pencil, being sure to fill in the entire lip. This first go round does not need to be perfect. This creates a foundation for the lipstick, helping it last much longer.
• After you have filled in your lips with the pencil, give them one swipe from the lipstick tube and rub lips together.
• Go back with the lip pencil or a lip brush and perfect the lip line. If you have a thin upper or lower lip, this gives you a chance to cheat your natural shape to appear fuller
• If you usually have trouble with lipstick bleeding, stick with matte formulas. Also, take advantage of wax seal pencils from Make Up For Ever or Urban Decay that will keep your lipstick in place.
Alright! Now I’m gonna finish my coffee and get me some fresh cheerful lips! If you want to learn more about Avery’s work, check out her website and portfolio. She does house calls and I kind of wish she would come over to do my makeup every day….
January 10, 2014